Three days of heavy rains produced a massive mudslide on 14 August 2017 in and around Freetown, Sierra Leone, West Africa. More than 1,000 people have died from flooding and mudslides that hit Sierra Leone’s capital. Some 2,000 people are homeless.
Hurricane Harvey is the strongest hurricane to hit Texas since 1961 and has caused widespread damage from flooding in Houston and beyond. If forced 30,000 people to leave their homes with a projected 50 inches of rain by the end of the August.
Lott Carey is receiving financial support and recruiting volunteers to help people recover. Give online or volunteer to serve. Contact Kathi L. Reid, Disaster Services Manager at email@example.com.
We work to equip churches to prepare for and respond to disasters. We seek to:
- Educate congregations and communities toward effective disaster preparedness:
- FEMA Emergency Supply List
- Purchase emergency kits through redcrossstore.org
- Encourage congregations to recruit and train volunteers to participate in disaster response.
- Recruit churches to become certified as shelters in areas that are vulnerable to disasters and with vulnerable populations.
- Establish Resurrection Centers in the aftermath of disasters to provide spiritual care and case management in vulnerable communities.